[Fwd: Dynamo pulleys]

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Dynamo pulleys]
From: Dave Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:31:20 -0500
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:24:20 -0500
From: Dave Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
To: spritenut@exit109.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Dynamo pulleys

I'm usually one of the quiet ones hiding under the floor mats reading
all the answers to questions and then helping you if I can.  This
weekend at Elkhart Lake, WI, I met some gentlemen from Grand Rapids,
MI.  They had come "over the top" (by way of the Upper Peninsula) for
the 10th year driving their sports cars to the Brian Redman Can-Am
Challenge and Shelby American Club event with MR. Shelby signing
autographs.  Sorry I digress.  One of the Michigan gentlemen had a
dynamo go out on his Lotus S7 series 2 in the U.P. and made it to
Elkhart.  I lent him one of mine and another individual lent him a
control box (his was toast).  Anyway, if any of you Michiganders are
reading, I hope you got home safe and sound, particularly Jim - did the
dynamo make it?
Ah, the question?  When I was sorting thru my dynamos, I notice the
pulleys ranged in size from 2" to 4".  I happened to pick a 3" for the
Lotus and it was the same as his.  Does anyone know what the diameters
of the pulleys were for specific cars; mini, spridgets, and on whatever
else C39 and C40 dynamos were used?  My bugeye has a 3" pulley.  Should
it be different?  The size is obviously going to affect the turning rate
and therefore output of the dynamo; or was it convenience for belt size.
What is the proper belt width and depth?  Answers??????  Maybe Frank has
some answers??
Sorry for the length, but I had to relate how the Brotherhood still
assists one another and it sure feels good doing it! :)

Dave Woerpel - '59 Bugeye AN5/17606
               '59 MGA HDR 43/62403