Re:Timing causing overheating - long

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Timing causing overheating - long
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:25:51 -0600
This seems to be something for which no one can give a definitive answer.  I=
=20
have wanted to know the real answer for quite some time.  Here is what I am=
=20
doing to resolve the question.

I have (for the past year) had my timing set strobascopically (sp?) at 14=20
degrees advance - which should be the ideal setting.  In the environment=20
that I live in, my engine coolant temperature has frequently hit 212=B0F=20
(100=B0C).  Occasionally the temp has gone above, but not very often - my=
 '67=20
MGB, that I use for daily summer transportation has a temperature marked=20
gauge - not one that shows 'normal.'

This evening I retarded the timing from 14 degrees to 12 degrees of advance.=
=20
 I will drive the car to work and back (30 miles each way) at 80mph (our=20
speed limit is 75) for the next two days.  The following day, I will set the=
=20
timing to 16 degrees of advance.  I will drive to work and back at 80, and=
=20
see if there is a difference.

Now, several things may effect my engine temp.  First, and foremost will be=
=20
the outdoor temperature.  Where I live - desert Idaho, the weather will=20
probably not change significantly for about the next 3 weeks.  The=20
temperature will be a low of 55 or so, and a hi of 92 or so.  The relative=
=20
humidity will be steady (and low) also, as we do not get much, if any, rain=
=20
here at this time of year.  My elevation is 4800ft, so the boiling point of=
=20
water is 204=B0F, and the air is thin.  Due to the thin air, a change in=20
barometric pressure could change the outcome of this test - I'll try to=20
check the weather channel.  Also, wind is a large factor. =20

Going over mountain passes, I can say that the single most significant=20
factor I have seen was the load on the engine.  Going up the pass, I have=20
seen my MGB hit 220=B0F, and within a half mile of going down the pass, it=
=20
comes right back to 185=B0F.  This tells me the load (and hence the wind in=
=20
this test) may be a big factor.  I can kind-of monitor this because I have=
=20
an intake manifold vacuum gauge installed on my car - don't ask why, it is a=
=20
long story.

Theoretically, a little retard seems that it should help, BUT (that's my big=
=20
butt) you loose the power, and thus increase the load for the same speed, as=
=20
indicated on the manifold vacuum gauge by a lower vacuum.  This may cause a=
=20
hotter engine.  A little advance, on the other hand, should give you more=20
power, and decrease the load, BUT as someone else mentioned, the ingnited=20
fuel is in the cylinder chamber longer.  So, there must be a balance - I=20
plan to find it!

On other cars, I have used the old "set it by ear" method, and it worked=20
well.  The method is to over-advance a little, find a good parking lot, and=
=20
floor the car in 1st gear.  If you get pinging, you have to back it off. =20
Keep the maximum advance you can, and you get the best balance of power and=
=20
economy.  If I remember right, a little too much advance gave good=20
acceleration, but poor top speed, and a little too much retard gave better=
=20
top speed, but poor accleeration.  Anyhow this was on an air cooled=20
volkswagen, with no vacuum advance, so I really couldn't moniter coolant=20
temperatures.

If pinging occurs at either the 12 or 16 degree setting, I will not continue=
=20
to test, I will go back to my 14 degree advance setting.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C