Re: ACONITE, BLACK TULIP AND MIRAGE

To: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Subject: Re: ACONITE, BLACK TULIP AND MIRAGE
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:29:00 +0100
Sadly no - the 1977 model year cars were not available in either Aconite
or Black Tulip. The colours available for MGB and Midget after July 1976
were as follows:

1). Chartreuse (1977) with black trim (USA trim only considered in this
list). Chartreuse is best described as a creamy greeny yellow, a sort of
mouldy primrose.
2). Sandglow (1977) with Autumn Leaf trim. Sandglow was an
yellow/orangey light beige.
3). White (shade varies) with black trim.
4). Black with either trim (in the UK, where trim colours were in any
case different, a choice of trim colours was offered; I think that such
varirty was not always on choice in the USA).
5). Brooklands Green with Autumn Leaf trim, Beige from 1978. Brooklands
Green is an elegant dark green, slighty `purer' than BRG.
6). Russet Brown (1978 on) with Beige trim. MG Hershey bar!?
7). Inca Yellow (1978/9) with black trim. Custard yellow - almost New
York Taxi Yellow but perhaps a bit more subtle.
8). Snapdragon (replaced Inca in 1980) with black trim. Paler, slightly
purer yellow than Inca. But I prefer Inca (I'm biased!).
9). Tahiti Blue (1977) with Autumn Leaf trim. Rich mid-blue - French
Blue.
10). Pageant Blue (replaced Tahiti in 1978) with Beige trim. Lighter and
more `brash' blue than Tahiti.
11). Damask Red (1977) with black trim. Classic elegant maroon (again,
I'm biased!).
12). Carmine (replaced Damask during 1977) with black trim. Lighter
maroon.
13). Flamenco (1977) with black trim. Bright orangey red - a very
'seventies red as opposed to the almost Ferrari-like 1960's Tartan Red.
14). Vermillion (1978 on) with black trim. Brighter and more vibrant
orangey red.

>From this, you'll see that there are no colours which resemble Aconite
or Black Tulip, other than perhaps Damask. Aconite was a 1974/5 colour,
and replaced the earlier Black Tulip, and was therefore seen on some
early black bumper cars.

David Knowles
(1974 MGB GT V8 Damask; 1980 MGB roadster Inca Yellow)

 ----------
From: Bob De Weese
To: David Knowles
Date: 23 July 1997 14:58

David Knowles wrote:

> I was interested in
> the discourse about Aconite and Black Tulip colours,
>I remember all these 1970's colours well from the days when they
> were new and seen on the streets of London.

Black Tulip????  Interesting.  Was this available on a 77 B?  I wonder
how it would look with the brown/tan interior and a tan top.

I'm planning a paint job in the spring and I was going to go with
British Racing Green mainly because I didn't like the other colors that
go with tan/brown like blue and yellow.  I love red, but I just can't
see it going with the interior and top.  Never thought of black. (Hmmm!)

Does anyone know where I might see a picture of a B done in this color?

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster
 --
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *