Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net
From: Arthur Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:59:33 -0400 (EDT)
        Robert, there are three things you want to check for with the
coil.The first is internal resistance. Disconnect all wires going to the
coil. Set your multi meter to the lowest ohms scale. Now with the meter
connected to the + and - side of the coil (or cb and sw) you should get a
reading of about 1.5 to 3 ohms. Much higher or lower than this indicates a
bad coil. Next check the secondary circut. Set the meter to the high scale
put one lead on either the + or - terminal.Put the other lead into the
terminal at the top of the coil. You should get a reading between 6,000
and 30,000 ohms. (Make a note of this reading and the scale you used to
get it. If your coil is good you will know in the future what a good coil
should read and you can see if yours has changed). The last test is for an
internal ground. Set the meter to the high ohms scale and connect one lead
to the - or + side of the coiland put the other lead onto the case of the
coil. The needle should not move at all. If it does the coil is internally
grounded and must be replaced. A tip to MGA owners is to make sure that
the coil does not rest directly on the generator. The vibration has a
nasty habit of wearing a hole through the case of the coil causing the
power to arc from the coil to ground.
...Art