Overdrive speedometer drive gears

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive speedometer drive gears
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 19:56:48 -0700
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows what needs to be done to replace the
nylon speedometer drive gear on a later overdrive unit. The gear I'm
refering to is the gear on the main shaft which drives the 21-tooth
pinion-type gear that the cable hooks to.

I recently replaced the latter gear. It worked for a couple of months then
quit. I removed it and noticed the the nylon gear on the main shaft which
drives it is pretty chewed up.

Can I remove the drive shaft, unscrew the bolt from the end of the od unit,
remove the seal and bearing and slide this drive gear off of the main
shaft? Or, do I have to disassemble the od unit to get at it?

Does anyone know of a slick answer?

Thanks for your time.

Craig Wiper

Craig Wiper