Diagnosis of Clutch Problem

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Diagnosis of Clutch Problem
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:19:42 -0400
Hi Folks,
Could I ask you all to help in diagnosing a clutch/gearbox problem in my
1500 Midget.
Sometimes it's impossible to get it into 1st gear, even with the car at a=

standstill. The trick of putting it 2nd and then into 1st doesn't work an=
I have to take off in 2nd gear.  Also, sometimes it clonks when upshiftin=
from 2-3 and 3-4 (as I take my foot off the clutch pedal).  The clonk see=
ms
to come from just behind the gear selector stick.  Today, I tried to get =
it
from 4th to 2nd (as I was braking real hard before a turn) and it did not=

like it - not a clonk, but mucho resistance.  Also, in general, changing
gears is a little stiffer than in my 1275.
I've put in a rebuilt clutch MC and bled the system with an Ezi-Bleed.  T=
he
slave cylinder refused to come out - I can turn it around with a pair of
Vice-Grips but there appears to be suction from Hell keeping it in there =
-
so I havn't been able to replace it. =

There is an "inspection cover" on the driver's side footwall(?).  Is this=
carry- over from the 1275,  for filling the gearbox.  Anyhow, looking in
there I can see a clean oily shaft from the gearbox moving forward and
backward when changing gears - is that normal or is something poking out =
of
the gearbox that shouldn't be?
I'm kind of dreading what you'll say but, like Click and Clack say, "the
truth will set you free".
Thanks for any advice.
Regards,     Adrian