The old hotfoot routine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The old hotfoot routine
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:49:13 -0400
Looking for any excuse to spend time with our hair flapping in the wind,
my daughter and I are planning a trip from Charlotte (NC) to Chicago in
a couple of weeks in our '74 B.  The car's in reasonable shape, and once
I've replaced the clutch I'm nearly sure we'll make it without
automotive incident.  (I just keep repeating the word "adventure.")
However I get a *lot* of heat through the firewall and/or trans tunnel
in this car, and if the weather doesn't break, that may make the 13-hour
trip a little less joyful.  I'm sure with this current heat wave, there
are a lot of east coast Americans wondering this same thing:

Can anyone tell me what causes so much heat to be absorbed by the
passenger compartment?  Further, (and more importantly) what have people
successfully done to decrease the effect?

(And I do have a chunk of 4" dryer vent hose in the garage, but I really
hope I don't have to go that route.  Carol, did the TR3 driver use an
actual dryer vent to hold the hose on the right side of the windshield?)

Thanks in advance (about 18 degrees worth).

Matt Kulka
'74 B - rotisserie optional.