Re: Brake Master Cylinder Choice

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Choice
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:31:24 EDT
On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:54:51 -0800 Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
writes:
>As long as I'm busy scavenging the '71, I was thinking of converting
>my '67
>Gt to a dual line braking system with the tandem master cylinder.
>Will
>this yield enough benefit over tyhe single line unit to be worth the
>effort?  What will the effect be on pedal effort, stopping power,
>balance
>f/r and ability to modulate the brakes at threshold?
>
>Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.
Andy,
  Converting to the dual master cylinder from the 71 will have little if
any effect on your brakeing "feel", either pedal effort, travel, balance,
or ability to modulate during threshold braking.
  The only difference in the single and dual master cylinders is in the
interal configuration of the cylinder itself. So far as bore, etc, they
are virtualy identical.
  The dual (or split) MC has a second seal and piston, forward of the
"primary" piston, and which is not directly connected to the primary
piston. Instead it works by hydraulic pressure from the primary.  A
really good explaination can be found in "The Brake Handbook" by Fred
Puhn. I managed to get a copy at the local public library, or you can buy
it from a lot of the LBC parts supliers and/or performance shops.
  When making the conversion, you might want to consider using the entire
pedal box assembly and MC mounting from the 71, I think the spacing
between the early (single) MC and clutch MC is slightly different from
the later (dual) setup
 Hope this helps

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT