Bleeding Brakes - getting creative

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bleeding Brakes - getting creative
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 03:40:41 EDT
While we're on the subject, here's one for a good laugh.  Near the end of
Brit Run For The Sun, the MGA with an attitude and Lil Darlin' were
hangin'  out around Marble Falls, Texas when Lil darlin'  locked up a
front wheel due to a collapsed brake hose, definitely not driveable.  She
was also loosing pedal height at a stop due to internal leakage in the
master cylinder.

To make a long story short, after replacing three hoses and the front
pads and rebuilding the master cylinder, we couldn't get the clutch to
bleed properly (nasty bubble caught in there somewhere).  So, stuck
working in city park, we got creative.

In my trailer we found a bit of 3/8" hose I use to drain the ice chest.
In the boot of Lil Darlin' we found a skinny hand tire pump (bicycle
pump).  In my tool kit we found a roll of electrical tape.  I put several
wraps of tape on one end of the hose and stuffed it tightly into the
filler hole of the master cylinder.  Then I taped the other end of the
hose to the hose on the bicycle pump.  Carol worked the hand pump for a
for strokes while I opened the clutch bleed nipple.  Whoopie!  Instant
clutch response.

When things get sticky, I use a pressure bleeder.  They always work.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude.

PS
Alaska was a hoot.