cracked head woes

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: cracked head woes
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 12:31:32 -0400
What has been the group's experiences with repairing cracked heads?
Someone recommended a process to me where the head is put in a furnace
for a few days, then the crack is essentially ground into and re-welded,
instead of drilled and plugged.  They said this would make it as good as
new, and since the stress to the head had been relieved, it would be in
better shape than a new head and wouldn't crack as readily.  I have
rebuilt 2 1500 Midget engines with 2 cracked heads and want to keep this
from happening a third time, because it jacks the rebuild price up an
extra 200-400 bucks, depending on condition of the valves.  And new
heads have gone up from $275 to about $500!  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

adrian

75 midget pieces
76 midget body

--