Re: Midget Trailer?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Midget Trailer?
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:51:28 -0700
At 05:03 PM 7/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Arthur Pfenninger wrote:
>> > Has anyone used one of the "car dollies" I saw a guy with one at the All
>> > British on OKC and he liked it for his daughters Midget.
>> >
>> > The pros on this would be lightweight and easier storage. Any Cons?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Dick Watson
>> > '68 Midget (redoing front end)
>> > '78 Midget
>> >
>>      The con would be if you want to transport the car for any distance
>> you need to remove the drive shaft.
>> ...Art
>
>I thought this was only on automatic transmission cars beause they are not
>being lubricated when the engine is not running?
>If the car is in neutral, I don't see why the drive shaft would have to be
>disconnected.
>
>    Ulix                                                    __/__,__
>.......................................................... (_o____o_).....
>                                                           '67 Sprite

===Reply===
Nope, because you're turning the third-motion (output) shaft of the
transmission but not the layshaft.  The turning of the layshaft in the oil
is what transfers oil to the rest of the transmission, so towing for several
hundred miles without disconnecting the driveshaft means the third-motion
shaft is turning in its bearings without being oiled.

In addition to an earlier comment about towing backwards on a dolly doing
funny wear to the front end parts, it's a very bad idea if you have
knockoffs, 'cause they'll unscrew themselves & your wheels will go bouncing
by you.

Mark Moburg
MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
New York, New York