Re: Headrest Removal

To: <GregMGB@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Headrest Removal
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 20:46:20 -0400
If it is like my '73 Midget, you need to peel the upholstery up from the
bottom of the seat back and remove or get under  the seat back foam to get
access to the spring retainer.  I couldn't figure out how to get my
headrest out, either, but I was installing a new interior kit anyway, so I
ended up cutting off the upholstery.  I discovered that the headrest
support bar was locked in by a spring retainer that clicked into place when
the headrest was installed,
The spring retainer is a flat piece of steel in the bottom of the headrest
bar.  it sticks out on one side of the bar, and has an angled edge so that
it can be compressed by the headrest guide as the headrest is inserted.
Once the spring clears the guide, it pops out, thus locking the bar down in
the guide.  The only way to get the headrest out is to compress this
spring.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 ("Resting" the last 10 years)
Why can't they put manholes in the MIDDLE of the lane?