RE: TD Door Fitting

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TD Door Fitting
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 09:26:40 -0600 (MDT)
<I can't seem to get the right hand door to fit properly after removing it to
<paint and installing new hinges. It appears to be hanging too high as there is
<interference along the top curve. I tried shimming the top hinge, but that
<pitched the door too far forward and it started hitting more towards the front.
<Anybody have any tips on making the door fit? (Honest, it fit before I took it
<off.)

Per Bud Krueger's advice:
I compared the old hinges to the new ones and discovered that the closed
position gap on the old hinge is 3/32 inch and 6/32 inch on the new hinge.
I thing this is the main problem as I had already estimated that the door
needed to be shifted back about an eighth of an inch.

I've found that brass doesn't take kindly to bending, so I'll try grinding and
filing to get that 3/32 inch back. Wish I had access to a milling machine (and
knew how to use one).

If any of the part suppliers are reading this, please check your specs on this
part.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting