And speaking of head gaskets...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: And speaking of head gaskets...
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 17:13:12 -0400
First, thanks to all who suggested methods of cooling down my footwell.
I pulled the motor this weekend to replace the clutch and found that my
exhaust pipe to manifold connection was loose.  I'll be back on the road
tomorrow and am hoping that a handful of new nuts and lock washers will
solve the heat problem quite cheaply.

But when I got the motor about to eye level, I began thinking about my
next project...

My '74 B sweats coolant out between the head and the block above the oil
filter.  I understand from the John Twist articles that this is not an
uncommon syndrome.  I went on to read John's method of repair, and it's
a bit too informal for me to follow with confidence.

My question is this:  Have people been successful overcoming the poor
seal by simply replacing the head gasket?  If so, with what type of
gasket?   (Certainly not a copper one, eh Bill?)  And how long did the
new gasket keep the seam from leaking?

I thank you all in advance - from the bottom of my hopefully cool feet
to the top of my leaking head.

Matt Kulka
74 B - in a constant state of flush.