Re: Bent Brake Disks ?

To: "A.D.Smith" <as@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Bent Brake Disks ?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 08:16:37 -0500
A.D.Smith wrote:

> My diagnosis is bent disks, pushing the pistons out as the
> disk goes round, meaning that I need massive pedal travel
> to get the pads back in contact with the disk when I need
> the brakes, and causing the pulsing force on the pedal.
>
> Could it be anything else ? Or am I right in being resigned
> to having to pull it all apart again to put new disks on ?
>
> Andy

Well, the other posts are clues but I'll add my own. Make sure your wheel
bearings aren't wearing out. The fact that the first brake press goes to the
floor and the next is tight might indicate that your wheel bearings have too
much play and the wheels are now drooping out of the plane that the calipers
want to use.

Brake shimmy is a bad thing. Skimming the rotors to get them flat is also called
for.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'.... until you can find a rock."