Re: midget clutch questio

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: midget clutch questio
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 05:58:00 -0500
RM>On Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:13:04 -0400 "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
RM>writes:
RM>>Well, here's my first advice request since purchasing my '73 Midget in
RM>>May.
RM>> It has been on the road for about 3 weeks, but then I ran into clutch
RM>>problems.
RM>>
RM>>Since the first drive, there was a mild clunk when releasing the
RM>>clutch
RM>>pedal, especially, it seemed, in reverse.  There also seemed to be a
RM>>large
RM>>amount of miscellaneous noises in the trannny (loud first gear, etc.).
RM>>
RM>>Often it was difficult to get into first gear after a stop, and even
RM>>going
RM>>2nd to 1st  sometimes produced a slow, mild grind before slipping into
RM>>1st.
RM>> These may or may not be related to the current problem:
RM>>
RM>>During a typical drive home, I found that shifting was becoming
RM>>difficult,
RM>>requiring me to rev  the engine to slip into each gear.  When I
RM>>stopped in
RM>>my driveway in neutral and running, I could not get into 2,3,or 4 at
RM>>all,
RM>>and any attempt to slip into first (with clutch in of course) was met
RM>>with
RM>>a high speed grind.  Pedal pressure seemed much lower, but I haven't
RM>>driven
RM>>the car enough to have a definite feel.
RM>>
RM>>This is where the plot thickens, possibly splitting into two problems.
RM>> It
RM>>seems that the clutch pedal/slave cylinder was not functioning, so we
RM>>checked clutch MC level -- very low, despite no evidence of a leak.
RM>>After
RM>>refilling and bleeding, pedal pressure seemed better, but maybe not as
RM>>good
RM>>as original.  While securely up on stands, I started the car and
RM>>carefully
RM>>shifted thrrough all 4 grears at idle -- seemed fine, although the
RM>>first
RM>>gear grind happened the first attempt only.  The car came down, and as
RM>>pulled out for a test drive, there was a new, disturbing whine from
RM>>the
RM>>bell housing area while in gear with clutch in.  During the drive, the
RM>>car
RM>>shifted, but I still experienced difficulty getting into 1st after a
RM>>stop,
RM>>and had some resistance from 2nd to 3rd.  Back into the garage.
RM>>
RM>>The question is:  Does this sound purely hydraulic, as in I didn't
RM>>bleed
RM>>the system sufficiently), or does it sound more serious (thrrow-out
RM>>bearing, linkage, etc.)?  I'm planning to attempt bleeding once more
RM>>before
RM>>diving into engine/tranny removal.  I'm not too concerned about the
RM>>removal
> [...]

 Dustin,
  "THROW-OUT" bearing ! I have all the same symptoms on my 71 midget,
 and when the rubber plug on the bottom of the tranny was pulled..
 I found a piece of "THROW-IT-OUT" bearing. :)
  Pisser is, I replaced rod bearings,pistons, reassembled motor, runs
  great ! with the motor IN the car. Now I have to pull the motor and
  tranny for this "THROWN-OUT" bearing !
  Oh well....

 John Kahoon
 71 midget
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.net
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pcohio.net