EXTRA! Survey Question Results

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: EXTRA! Survey Question Results
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 12:50:10 -0500
OK everyone, here are the results. First, I'd like to say "thank you" for
the high level of participation. Of the 391 people on this list, 140
responded. That is 36%, and as data gathering goes, is considered to be
"excellent" for returns to a survey. Second, the questionaire was the
"second to last draft" and not the "final draft." My mistake. In the final
draft, I fixed the USA only question about residence and corrected a couple
of other problems. Even though this didn't alter the results, I'm sorry if
I offended anyone. Lastly, All results reported refer to the "respondents"
of the survey. Statisticly, the results should be an acurate representation
of the list as a whole. Hope you all enjoy and if anyone wants the raw data
or more info, just email me! Oh, if the percents seem to fall short, it is
because I did not report the very low percentages for some questions. Enjoy!

mean = average
mode = most frequent answer
min = minimum value answer
max = maximum value answer

1) Age

mean 41.8   mode 40   min 15   max 66

2) Gender

96.4% of persons on this list are male...come on girls, get with it!

3) Marital Status (single, engaged, married, divorced; resist the
temptation to stray from these four choices  :-) )

I should have broadened the scope on this question, sorry.
13.9% single   .7% engaged   80.3% married   5.1% divorced

4) How old were you when you first became interested in Little British Cars
(LBC)?

mean 17   mode 16   min 4   max 50

5) How old were you when you first purchased an LBC?

mean 24.8   mode 19   min 14   max 66

6) What year/make/model was your first LBC? (yy/make/model)

mean year was 1966

Most popular: MG (72.5%)/ MGB (28.7%)

Second most popular make was triumph
Second most popular model was midget

Overall, 13 makes and 32 models were represented.

7) Including those you now own, how many LBCs have you owned in your
lifetime? (don't include never functioning/never will function parts cars)

mean 6.6   mode 1   min 0   max 114

8) What year/make/model was your FAVORITE LBC? (yy/make/model)

mean year was 1965

Most popular: MG (75.6%) / MGB (28.3%)

Second most popular make was Austin Healy
Second most popular model was MGA

9) How many LBCs do you currently own?

mean 2.5   mode 1   min 0   max 33

10) How many miles annually do you put on your most frequently driven LBC?

mean 6368   mode 5000   min 200   max 32,500

11) Are you, or have you ever been, a professional mechanic?

10.7% said "yes"   89.3% said "no"

12) On a scale of 1-5, rate how much of your own work do you do on your
cars? (1= none, 5= all of it)

mean 4.1  mode 4   min 1   max 5

13) How many AVERAGE hours per week do you spend working on your LBC?

mean 5.1   mode 2   min 0   max 30

14) Do you use an incandescent or flourescent drop light?

 This was the S.S. Minnow of survey questions...doomed from the start. I
was just trying to (unsucessfully) inject a little humor given the recent
"shop light thread." I did, however, tally the results. The ambiguous
wording was fixed in the "final draft."

48.4% use an incandescent drop light
21.4% use a flourescent drop light
12.9% use both
and...
12.1% use neither

15) Considering all aspects (customer service, price, etc) rate the top
three (in order; good to bad) establishments you buy LBC parts from.

This was another S.S. Minnow question. I tried to pack too much data into
one question.
I lumped all responses and am reporting the top three of the 16 or so
establishments.

Moss 26.6%   Victoria British 16.7%   Abingdon Spares 16%

16) Rate your automotive "Purity" on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being = every
bolt and screw must be original, to 5 = anything goes (including major
metal cutting), as long as it works.

mean 2.7   mode 2   min 1   max 5

17) What city and state do you live in? (please us standard 2 letter
abbreviation for state)

First place goes to California, followed by Texas, and then Pennsylvania

18) How long have you been a member of this list? (use months, please)

mean 14.9   mode 12   min 1   max 60

I used 60 months (per a couple of old listers)for the people who indicated
they had been on the list since it was started.

Thanks again for participating!

Regards,

Alan Lott
GTA Dept of RSE
Auburn University

'71 MGB (rolling restoration)

"Diplomacy is the ability to let other people have things your way."