Re: MG TD?

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Subject: Re: MG TD?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:56:23 -0400
Thomas James Pokrefke, III wrote:

> I was driving back to Hattiesburg on Saturday and stopped to look at a
>
> car for sale that claimed to be an MG TD.  I am unfamiliar with the
> entire 'T' series, so here are its characteristics:
>
> 1.  An octagonal badge on the radiator/grille that said 'TD'.
> 2.  A coil spring front suspension
> 3.  Normal tires, possibly 185/70R-14
> 4.  'Backwards' doors
> 5.  Rack-and-pinion steering
> 6.  A sign proclaiming "6,000 original miles"
>
> I decided that the car was a replica, especially in light of number 6.
>
> Since I'm still a young fart, I'd be interested in what the older (and
>
> more stale) farts have to say.
>
> Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> 1970 MGB
> pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu
> http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke

Hi Tom,
       First off, congratulations on the degree. Now the LBC part, it
would have been a phoney, i.e., replicar. Your #'s 2,4 & 5 are truisms,
coils in the front, "backward" doors,
rack and pinion. The letters in the octagon are MG, as they should be.
TD never appears on the exterior, only on plates under the bonnet. The
standard wheels are 15" discs. Radials are not uncommon nowadays, but
are likely to be 165 or 175/15. Some of the replicars are built on Pinto
or Chevette platforms and don't have the telltale VW exhaust.
As someone else mentioned, there is (was) a TF replicar with MGB
components that is very difficult to spot until you get up close. The
instruments are round, rather than octagonal, Under the bonnet it says
MG, because it's an MG engine.
     You spotted it well, YF.

Bud Krueger
OF