Re: Used (reconditioned) Parts Suppliers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Used (reconditioned) Parts Suppliers
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 23:03:40 -0700
Try taking your alternators and starters to local electrical rebuild
shops. The one around here does a great job, usually a one day to
one week turn around too. You'll get the proper part back, because of
course it was the one you turned in. They'll only fix what's wrong, and
therefore can be quite cheaper too. I had a starter for a '63 T-Bird
that was weak. Rebuilt was $110, used was $50. My local shop (Ace
Electric in Melbourne, FL) tested it, determined it was bad bushings,
replaced them, cleaned all contacts and recut the stator(?), all for
$15. One day later I picked up the starter, no core hassles either.
They can cut custom brushes, and rewind stuff too. Plus you can bitch to
the people who actually worked on your part if something goes wrong.

What it comes down to is most starters and alternators are very basic,
with common problems. A decent local place can repair %90 of the
problems, with out the hassle of mailorder or a chain franchise store
mentality.

-Aron-
"in a frenzy"