Midget On Skyline Pt 4 [Longish again]

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget On Skyline Pt 4 [Longish again]
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 97 16:40:37 -0400
Well hello again.
Sorry it ook so long to get to Pt 4. I've been busy and we have had some
network probs as somebody tried to bypass a firewall by connecting to
both sides. It brough the whole thing down for most of yesterday. Oh
well. On with the story.
Actually we haven't been on Skyline for a while but that holds the thing
together. When we last left we had just left the race. (By the way - does
anyone have a tape of the race I could dupe for my self?) As I said it
was a cool drive back to the campsite. We spent the next day cleaning up
and doing laundry (dull huh?) and hangin out in the swimming pool. Monday
Morning 7/28 we left to drive from Statesville, NC to Williamsburg, VA.
As we didn't want to cruise the interstate we found a road that parallels
it Highway 340 It is mostly a lesser traveled 4-lane with quite a few
small tyowns along the way. There is a great advantage to having a radio
in the car you can find out the weather.
When we left Statesville it was about 75F or so. By the time it got to be
about 11AM it was nearly 95F on the road. Unfortunately this part of NC
is kind of barren. Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. The
road was not too busy so not a lot of traffic which made the going pretty
good. The major problem was when we stopped before we could even get out
of the car we were soaking wet with sweat. This wasn't no dainty
perspiration either.
I can understand why Barney and Carol put the top up when they got to TX.
Our top was in PA to save space. We all drank a lot of water that day. By
the time we got to Richmond, VA it was about 98F and probabvly a heat
index of 115F.
The map showed a fairly easy way to get to I-64 to Williamsburg but the
map was faulty. We could see the messy mass of steel and concrete that
was I-95 and I-64 interchange but no way to get on it. So we went through
Richmond an caught 64 on the SE side. What a pleasant trip. No. 1 it was
hotter than HE double hockey sticks and No.2 it was not a part of town I
wanted to be in with a classic LBC nor a motorcycle. I would have found a
different way if it had been dark! Eventually we meandered through enough
of town to find I-64 and we headed for Williamsburg.
Our campground was only about 35 miles down from there and we made in
about 72 hours (It was that hot) actually about 30 min. Then the fun
began. I don't know how many of you have stayed in KOA's but this was the
pits. Fortunately when I went in to register I told them we had not been
happy with the last site and wanted to look at the campsites before we
checked in. They gave me three choices. 3 we had made reservations in
MARCH. There must be about 100 - 150 sites there and we could pick one of
three. So we looked. No roads - just gravel pits. The campsites were
about 10ft by 10ft and about 18 inches apart. We need to put up two tents
and park a car and a bike and have room for a picnic table. FAT CHANCE.
We had passed another campsite on the way in to this one. So we drove
back there and checked their sites out. we got one about 130 ft deep and
75 ft across kind of teardrop shaped, with nobody around in the next
sites. and lots of shade. We set up the tents and then went back to the
KOA and told them the sites were unacceptable. They tried to get us
another site. TOUGH SH*T. Besides the other place was cheaper.
We were expecting rain the next day so we settled down with a few of
Uncle Anheuser's best and tried to stay cool enough for the night. We
spent the next day, even though it was cooler recovering from the heat of
the previous day and didn't do much.
I'll finish the rest of the tale in a day or too.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Mandatory LBC stuff
Carol - the footwells in a Midget get hot too, especially when it 98F.
We were getting an average of about 27mpg. on the really hot day we got
28. The Midget was still running like a champ. Last night, the guy tht
drove the Yanmaha admitted that he didn't think the car would make the
whole trip. (He had helped with the suspension and brakes) and figured
something else would fail. Well it did (the alternator) but he figured
something else. Ha Ha fooled him.
Ciao
Larry