Re: More Fodder for the engine debate: was " New MGs..."

To: Ryan Watson <rswatson@nyx.nyx.net>
Subject: Re: More Fodder for the engine debate: was " New MGs..."
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:35:41 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Netters,
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Ryan Watson wrote:

=%OI just bought a Citroen 2CV with 602cc 2-cylinder engine with about 30hp
=%Oand about as aerodynamic as a brick.
=%OI did a 1000+ mile interstate highway trip with no problems. It cruises at
=%Oabout 68 mph (My '79 B doesn't go much faster than that)
=%OOf course I haven't driven any mountain passes yet.....

You are a BRAVE man to be driving that deux cheveux around. The girls do
like them though. My wife says they look like a mutated volkswagen beetle.

As for the highways and highway speeds, I drive the 91 and the 55 every
day from Riverside to Irvine when I am not in my van pool. I have been
taking my 1970 MGB-GT with >100,000 miles on it and it doesn't overheat as
long as it is moving (which is not always the case on these hellish
highways) on some hot days. I've done nothing special to it, although I
have an oil cooler (stock) and a recored (modern core) radiator. I suspect
the original core would be even better. I have NO trouble keeping up with
traffic at all, and if I had an overdrive, it would be even easier.

Just my two cents.

=%O
=%ORyan
=%OBoulder, CO
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II