Re: brake light

To: Mike Lewellen <mlewellen@fruit.com>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: brake light
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:55:45 -0400
At 09:45 AM 8/14/97 -0500, Mike Lewellen wrote:
>I have a 76 MGB.  The dash brake light stays on all the time. PO had
>unplugged it from the bottom of the master cylinder.  When is it suppose
>to be on?  Is it an emergency brake light only.  I assume it is but not
>too sure??

The switch light is there primarily to warn the operator or an unequal
amount of pressure in the dual circuit brakes, which will serve as a
warning of impending brake failure.  It's secondary purpose is to remind
the drive that the parking brake is on.  There is a chance that the brake
master cylinder began to leak from the switch, and he may have crammed
somthing into the switch cavity to seal it.  The DPO on my car put a ball
bearing into the hole, and screwed a bolt into the cylinder to prevent
leakage, when what he should have done is replace/rebuild the master
cylinder.