Re: Tires

To: JedPiper <JedPiper@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:51:38 -0500
JedPiper wrote:

> Hi Gang -
>
> I am ready to replace the 165 SR14's that my 76 B currently wears.
> What is
> the consensus on a suitable replacement?  The B is driven 30 or so
> miles/day to and from work, at 65-75 mph.  Any and all suggestions
> would be
> appreciated.

Jed -
    I located 175SR14's at NTW (now NTB).  I bought their house brand.
Nice tread appearance, and the price was around $30 each.  These must be
very close to the original diameter, had the car on a chassis dyno, and
the speedometer matched the calibrated dyno almost exactly.  I've put
about 5K miles on the tires, wear is even and handling is nice.  Normal
speeds for me are 70-75 mph, although they have seen 90 mph on the road
and 110 mph on the chassis dyno.  Run very smooth.

Nice thing about NTW, they let you go back into the shop area and watch
- a good thing when you have wire wheels with innertubes and most of the
shop workers have never seen an innertube since their first bicycle.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX