Looking for Aluminum Valve Cover

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Looking for Aluminum Valve Cover
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:14:15 +0100
I lifted the bonnet of the MGC in preparation for a Club run and
discovered the motor had lightened itself a little bit. The oil fill
tube and cap on top of the aluminum valve cover had come loose and is
now gone. The VB catalog says it will sell me an entire new valve cover
for $185. Yech.

So, does anyone out there have a crummy aluminim valve cover where the
fill tube is pressed in? I measured the hole in the casting at 1
15/16's. I think you should just be able to knock the fill tube with the
cap.

Alternatively, does anyone have any idea what can be used to substitute?
I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I went ahead and took the
car on the run but, thankfully, no one queried under the hood to see the
two strips of duct tape covering the hole.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT w/ topside Brisith rust preventing
system, too.