Re: Backfire

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Backfire
From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 02:57:38 -0700
Christopher G. Moog wrote:

> You should check the gulp valve, if this is OK check for exhaust leaks
> and the ignition system.  The gulp valve is the most likely cause.  The
> valve is suppose to stop the outlet of the air pump from going to the
> exhaust when decelerating.

Thanks for the input Chris.  I had just installed a new exhaust system
with new manifold gaskets all around, so probably not the exhaust.  And
I tried it without the gulp valve and air pump without a change.  It is
not a deceleration backfire, but one that comes on during hard
acceleration.
If I open up the jets it finally goes away, but I must be running rich
as hell.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way my fuel
pump seems to be acting.  I used to turn the ignition on and I could
hear the pump run aggresively, filling the float bowls, then it would
quiet down after a couple of seconds.  Now it seems to be pumping hard
all the time, but I don't have any trouble starting the engine.  It is
not a standard SU pump, but something the DPO put in himself, I believe
an AC-Delco electric pump.  Seems to me that all this might point to the
carb floats and needle/seat?

Wally / Templeton, MA
71 MGB (with case of angina)