electric fans...

Subject: electric fans...
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:18:52 -0700
'75 MGB....

I'm getting ready to go back to Texas from Portland. While I was in
Portland (OR) I bought my '75 MGB which has been a NW car it's entire
life. I've noticed in Portland that on hot days (by Portland standards)
that the temp gauge can creep past half way. This makes me think that in
TX, I'll have to deal with some cooling system issues.

Based on the little bit of the top of the radiator I can see, I have
very little corrosion in the cooling system. (This car has been very
well maintained), so I'm not to worried about that.

My plans are to inpall a 16 row oil cooler with thermostat ASAP.

I hadn't planned on an electric fan to start with, but I may need one of
those as well. One question...The later MGBs came with electric fans,
were they in addition to the engine driven fan?  It seems that replacing
the engine driven fan with an electric would free up a couple of
horsepower and since there isn't much of a shroud, etc it would also
improve the cooling. Additionally, while idling, the electric fan would
circulate more air than the engine driven fan.

I did this on a RX-7 I had set up for autocrossing and it worked great,
the engine reved faster, it felt livelier, etc even though the crank
mounted fan had a clutch on it. I would expect more inprovemetn on the B
since it doesn't have a clutch.

Any problems with this?

--
John Steczkowski