Suspension rebuild--tips and tricks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Suspension rebuild--tips and tricks
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 05:23:09 +0000
> >I'm planning a kingpin/suspension rebuild (since the Midget wouldn't
> >pass inspection today without it), and am wondering if any listers can
> >come up with any "while-I'm-at-its" that I haven't thought of.  I
> >already have the major suspension kit and plan to also replace the
> >springs, rack boots, and tie rod ends.  Is there anything else I should
> >do while I have it all apart?
> >
> >If anyone else has done this work already, do you have any tips/tricks
> >to help me along?  Any specific problems I might run into, that I should
> >be ready for?

Can't really think of any while-you're-at-its, but I can give some
hints for making what you're already planning a little easier.
        If you can't find a spring compressor that will fit over the springs
while they're still installed, you might want to disconnect the
control arms in slightly different manner than how the shop manuals
usually recommend.  Place a jack under the spring pan, and jack it up
until the spring starts to compress.  Instead of trying to get out
the bolt that secures the A arms to the kingpin, go to the
other ends of the A arms.  You'll find that each A arm is fastened
to one end of a shaft that's mounted to the car's body.  Disconnect
that whole shaft from the body by loosening the four bolts.
This is easier, because the force acting on those bolts is parallel
to the bolts themselves, whereas the "point" of the triangle, where
the A arms fasten to the kingpin, has a shear force on the bolt
that will make it very hard to slide out.
        When it comes time to put the springs back in, if you still haven't
found a small enough set of compressors (I never did), squeeze the
spring down in a bench-type compressor, and put six heavy-duty hose
clamps around three or four of the coils, and tighten them up.
Use the clamps with all the parallel slits in them, and the
worm-screw for tightening.  Don't use less than four or six clamps,
and don't get greedy with how much you try to compress the spring.
An inch or three is all you'll need.  Cut the clamps off with dykes
once you have the springs back in the car and everyting tightened
down.
        I'm writing this based on my recent experiences with my 'B'.  If the
Midget differs significantly, my apologies.  Perhaps someone
else on the list found my ramplings helpful ;)
Scott