more midget clutch saga

To: "mg list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: more midget clutch saga
From: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:14:06 -0400
Hi gang -

I'm back to battling the midget clutch after a week at the beach.  The
parts came in from Moss, and I have a few questions about reassembly:

1)  Other than a hydraulic press or other machine shop equipment, what is
the best way to insert the brass bushing into the clutch release lever arm?

2) I received my new clutch slave cyl. push rod and was surprised to find
that it is about 1 inch shorter than the one that came in the car from the
previous owner.  The new part (Moss 180-595) appears to be correct in that
it measures 3 inches long -- as specified for the 1275 motor.  it seems
that the previous owner "created" the old push rod by welding about 1 inch
from another rod onto a 3 inch rod, for a total of about 3- 7/8 inches.

The car ran with the old rod until I started having clutch problems
(related to problems with disengaging the clutch for anyone not familiar
with the saga).  Could this 'Frankenstein' push rod be the culprit?  Not
being too familiar with the operation of the clutch linkage, what effect
would this extra long push rod have?

I guess the real question is should I expect the new, 'correct' push rod to
work?  Everything else in the linkage seemed fine, albeit a little worn.
I'm replacing everything from the clutch disc to the slave cyl. push rod,
except the release lever arm.

3) speaking of release levers, I have two other midget release levers other
than the one that came with my car.  All three have the same MOWOG part
number stamped on them, but all show subtle differences, especially slight
bends at the slave cylinder end where the push rod connects.  Is this
common, or are they all damaged in some way?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.  I hope to be running again by
the weekend or shortly thereafter.  There's still a little summer left,
right?

Dustin Howarth
howarth@pulsenet.com
'73 Midget  'Margo'