RE: 1500cc engine in a 1600 body??

To: <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: RE: 1500cc engine in a 1600 body??
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:31:57 -0400
Eric wrote:

> Help!  It was just pointed out to me (newbie) that my 1960 MGA
> Roadster has a "15" raised marking on the right rear (distributor side)
> upper corner of the head.  I have reviewed the history of the car that
> was provided to me and there is no mention of an engine switch.
> Since my ordered copy of "Original MGA" has not arrived as yet, I
> throw myself to the assembled MG masses to help me out with this.
> Did the MGA 1600 come with a 1500cc engine or have I been
> bamboozled (or some other option)?

The 1489cc (MGA 1500) and 1588cc (MGA 1600) engines utilize the
same head with the 15 raised marking (during the 1500 production run
there were two modifications to improve porting so that by the end of the
run the head was identical to that used on the 1588) ... it was not until
the introduction of the 1622cc engine (MGA 1600 MkII) that the raised
marking was changed to a 16 ... some heads don't this marking.

What you want to look at is the engine number and/or the side of the
block ... the engine number should begin with a 16 and you should see
a raised 1600 marking on the side of the block.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII