Re: Stereo contacts in doorjamb.

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stereo contacts in doorjamb.
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-29 05:13:55 EDT, gardner@lwcomm.com writes:

> If it were a problem, stereo
>  manuals would warn against playing the radio for long periods of time
>  with the BALANCE knob all the way to one side, and I've never seen a
>  warning like that.

Scott:

The balance control works on a completely different principle - it is placed
between the inout and the output stages, and varies the INPUT signal to the
output stages. The output transisters still see the 8 ohm load of the
speakers. The add-on fader units that are placed in the output between the
speakers are designed such that impedance seen by the radio remains constant.
That is, as it turns down the speaker impedance seen by the radio, it turns
up the resistance of the fader such that the radio always sees a constant
impedance. The output power is either spent in the speakers or in the fader
resistance. That's why faders are not available for high power units - the
wasted output heats them up.

Many of the older radios will indeed be damaged by operating without a
speaker connected. Most of the newer unit do not have this problem. It would
be advisable to check the instruction manual with the unit you are using
before installing the jamb switches.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74