Re: Kingpin Bushings

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Kingpin Bushings
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:53:50 EDT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:20:33 -0400 Nory@webtv.net (Nory) writes:
>ED,
>
>Who're you calling an IDIOT?  Just because people ask questions of the
>list, so they can make INTELLIGENT decisions (isn't that what this
>list
>is for?), doesn't make them IDIOTS!  I'm surprised you stay in
>business
>with P.C. skills like that.
>
>BTW, I happen to have a Chilton's manual from 1975 that says MGB & MGC
>bushings need to be machined (it gives the dimensions), but Midget
>bushings don't.  With so much conflicting information out there, it's
>wonder anyone can work on there own cars.
>
>-NORY
>Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found
>the
>ONLY problem.
>
> '74 Midget & '71 parts car
> '94 Ford Ranger
> '86 Ford Escort
> '89 Ford Probe
> '96 North American Shepherd
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/9101

Nory,
  If you ever have to replace the bushings on your Midget(s), DON'T
follow the chilton's manual.  The Midget bushes have to be reamed
(machined), same as the "B". As with any precision bushing, when pressed
home (i e into the stub axle), the ID of the bush will decrease due to
"crush". If you could manage to force the king pin on (doubtful) it would
not turn. WAY too tight.

 There has been over time, a lot of blasting the Haynes manuals for their
inaccuracies and missing info.  But compared to the chilton version,
Haynes is a paragon of correct and complete information.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget