FW: Yugos - setting the record straight

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Yugos - setting the record straight
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:16:39 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at
line 30]

     Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:46:00 EDT
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: Yugos - setting the record straight

Sorry about the lack of Brit Car content, but I had to set the record
straight:

>From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates) wrote:
> The Yugo was a direct rip off of a lousy Fiat that had failed in all
markets several
> years before 1980 (when the Yugo was introduced).

Not quite. The Yugo was mechanically an exact copy of the Fiat 127.

The Fiat 127 was a HUGE success for Fiat and really started them on the
road to recovery. It was introduced in about 1971
in all the European markets and was a phenomenal best seller. It was one
if the earliest small hatcback designs which
was copied by almost every European Manufactures (VW Polo, Renault 5)

There were several variants with 950cc, 1100cc and 1300cc engines. I am
not sure when production finished, but you still
plenty on the roads in Portugal and Spain.

A derivative of the 127 was the 128, which used the same basic mechanical
components but in a larger bodyshell. This evolved
into the Zazdava (sp) (A Polish car built under license)

gerry