217mph MGF

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 217mph MGF
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 23:45:09 -0600
Hey listers, I found this post on the mini list and thought I would pass
it onto the MG list

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
===============================
From: JamesForster@Cableinet.co.uk
To: mini-list@autox.team.net
Subject: NON MINI: 217mph MGF
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:19:43 +0100

Hi All,
       Sorry this isn't Mini related, well not closely related anyway,
but I thought some of you may find it interesting. I was flicking
through the Daily Telegraph today and I came upon the motoring section.
A large part of this was dedicated to an MGF that was taken to the US
Bonneville Salt Flats where Stirling Moss took an MG car up to 245mph.
There is an annual event there where Americans with cars which are suped
up 'a tad' see how quick they can go. Rover ecided to take another MG
there to mark the 40th anniversiary of Stirling Moss' drive.
They maganged to get 217mph out of this MGF which unsurprisingly had
been midified a bit. The shell had been made a lot more streamlined, the
drag coefficient had been lowered considerably. The car had been
lightened but removing various parts and replacing various parts. A
Rover 100 stearing gear was used as a replacment, as were Maestro van
hubs. A turbocharger the same as that from an aRSe Cosworth was used
with an intercooler from a DB7. But the strangest bit was the engine,
rather than being the usual MGF 1796cc, it was a K series 1433cc!!!!
a 1.5 litre engine made it to over 200mph!!
I WANT ONE!! not far off a humble 1430 A series. Well I thought this was
pretty amazing, see you at MLM4,

James & Del (not far off 117mph)
JamesForster@cableinet.co.uk