it isn't vapor lock! HELP!!!

To: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Subject: it isn't vapor lock! HELP!!!
From: missouf@mail.utexas.edu (steffy)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:46:01 -0500 (CDT)
note:  I also sent this message to the Austin contact person.  Thank you
Carol!  I hope he gets back to me!

>Just started receiving this newgroup, and noticed a post from a Stephanie
>who is a 'poor college student' who was having difficulties with her '77
>Midget.  I had intended to respond, but deleted the messages without
>thinking.

I delete messages without thinking, too -- I think it is a response from
taking too many lecture notes.  Below is a synopsis of my situation.  What I
thought was a case of vapor lock seems to be far more mysterious.

Here is my problem:
1) (3 weeks ago) I thought I had vapor lock.  A first round of testing
seemed to confirm this, as fuel flowed from the fuel pump when tested.
*note:  the pump is electric
-However-
2) (1 week ago) I took the car out again, to see if the sudden loss of
reaction and power of the accellorator would occur again.  It did.  After
the obligatory "cool down" period for vapor lock, the car still would not
start.  After sitting in the shade for a week the car still would not start.
3) (this weekend)
Results of testing cycle 2
-fuel would not flow out of the fuel pump.
-however, suction was evident from the fuel pump.
-when air was blown through the fuel line from the intake hose (tothe fuel
pump) to the gas tank, bubbling noises were heard.
-when air was blown through the carb. fuel hose, it was clear.
-the accelorator cable is fine and working.
BUT the car will not stop and fuel will not exit the fuel pump!

Could the problem be in the accellorator?  I have worn out all possibilities
in my Chilton's, and my other car-fix-it books for the MG have not arrived
yet (UPS strike delays and all).  Are there any other areas I could check?
This is perplexing.

stephanie
'77 MG Midget ('Ebby')
          Salutation
                              ----Ezra Pound

O generation of the thoroughly smug
         and thoroughly uncomfortable,
I have seen fishermen picnicking in the sun,
I have seen them with untidy families,
I have seen their smiles full of teeth
        and heard ungainly laughter.
And I am happier than you are,