several questions ( all LBC )

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, HGlenBetts@aol.com
Subject: several questions ( all LBC )
From: HGlenBetts@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all,
Still working on the 76 MG-B. I've got it turning over and good gas flow
after flushing tank and rebuilding stock fuel pump. Still no Spark :-(

FIRST...
With ignition on, I've got voltage between + side of coil and ground.
and no spark from coil when turning over. Is there a (simple) way to know if
the coil is good or bad?

SECOND...
Pulled the distributor (for the heck of it). It is a lucas 41643 B, according
to the MOSS catalog this was only in California cars in 76. So.. this is
either a California car (how can I tell((no engine number plate)) ), Or the
PO did a swap. The 'arm' that comes from the vacume unit into the housing
appears to be broken at the end. Also missing the anti flash cover.
     Can everyone give me a recommendation on what to do about the
distributor? My preference is to stay original, or accepted
replacement/upgrade. I have no desire to go super hi performance high tech,
"duel shaved and balanced knutin valve relay output tri-sponder yada, yada,
yada" Just somethig that works and won't put the wife in shock with the
price.

THIRD..
Is there somewhere that I can find my engine serial number from?

Thanks all

Glen
in cloudy Milford, Michigan

76 MG-B on the road by first snow, even if the wife is pushing it ;.)