Re: Intake/Exhaust Tech ?

To: richard.arnold@juno.com
Subject: Re: Intake/Exhaust Tech ?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 22:48:03 EDT
On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:57:21 EDT richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D.
Arnold) writes:
>All:
>
>In regards to MG Midgets:
>
>Will a 1974 (1500) exhaust header pipe will to a 1979 (1500) exhaust
>manifold?

NO

>Will a pre-1975 carburetor bolt to a 1979 (1500) intake manifold?

NO

>I have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 and (another) 1979 Midget:
>The '79s body is toast (extreme body rot, sills and floor pans gone,
>etc) and it has a bad engine (rod hanging out the block) but the car
>is complete with a good transmission and rear axle.  The '74  is
>missing most everything that bolts to the engine but appears to be
>salvageable, and has a boot and body full of spare parts (two
>carburetors, two distributors, buckets o' bolts and brackets, etc),
>and the body is very good shape for a Midwest US car (minimal dings,
>and only rust is one inch hole on right rear quarter).
>
>My intent is to build the '74 from the parts available (as well as
>salvage as many miscellaneous parts as I can for my 'good' '79) , but
>have no desire to buy any major components.
>
>Any assistance that can be offered would be appreciated.

RIchard,
  the two cars have two entirely seperate engines, from two entirely
different "bloodlines". Little if anything will interchange between the
two.
  The pre-75 engines were what is know as the "A" series engines and were
evolved from a 803cc side valve engine introduced shortly after the war
in (if memory serves) a Morris vehicle. It later developed OH valve and
went through several itterations before the 1275cc version in the 74
Midget and in the Mini-Coopers (and several other BMC products.
  The 75 and later engine is the same as the later Spitfire and was
"forced" on the Midget by a Triumph dominated BL in a "cost cutting"
move.
  I'll probably get flamed for this, but I just got a new Nomex suit that
needs testing anyway.
  The 1275 is probably the better engine of the two. Although marginally
smaller in displacement, it's potiental HP is far greater than the 1500.
In fact, in stock form, I believe the 74 1275 actually produced more HP
than the 75 1500.
  My advice would be to utilize all the body and chassis parts from the
79 you can, sell the engine and tranny, use the money to get what you
need to bring the 74 back to life.
   Oh,  You might want to hang on to the rear axle assembly fromthe 79 as
it had a slightly higher ratio (3.7:1) than the 74 (3.9:1).  It will
interchange with the 74 and will save a few RPM when on the highway
good luck
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget