Re: cranky when cold

To: glen.christian@juno.com
Subject: Re: cranky when cold
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 18:14:56 EDT
On Mon, 1 Sep 1997 10:54:12 -0500 glen.christian@juno.com (glen
christian) writes:

>.....my '66 midget ..... when you go to start the engine when it's dead
cold it takes a while for it to actually come to life. once it does, for
a few minutes it will stall if you try to give it any gas. then problem
gradually gets better over a few minutes time (you can push further on
the gas before it wants to stall) until it goes good with no problem at
all. ..... this car has hs2 carbs w/ manual choke,  the carbs were
rebuilt a few years prior.  choke linkage seems to operate fine, fuel
filter has been replaced, and i've looked all up and down the fuel line
and don't see any obvious problems.

Not enough choke.  Check the choke linkage to see if the jet seats move
down far enough when you pull the cable.

>one other program note: no matter how much i adjust the carbs, either
before or after they were rebuilt, i have never been able to get this
thing to idle slow enough. once it is warm it always wants to idle around
1200-1300 rpm.

Could be a throttle plate a little out of position, binding on the inside
of the throat so it won't close all the way.  The throttle plate sits in
a slot in the throttle shaft.  Two screws in the shaft pinch the two
sides of the shaft together to hold the plate in position.  To align the
throttle plate, loosen the two screws until the plate can move around a
bit in the slot.  Back off the idle adjust screw so it doesn't touch the
stop.  Turn the shaft towards the closed position.  Wiggle the plate
around until it seats against the wall of the throat all the way around
the edge of the plate.  Tighten up the screws.

Special note:  These screws should be set with thread locking adhesive,
or should be peened over a bit on the tip end to keep them from
unscrewing.  The original screws had a little slot in the tip end so you
could pry at it a little with a screw driver to spread the tip of the
screw to lock it in place.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude