Re: Depress clutch -- get noise in transmission

To: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen)
Subject: Re: Depress clutch -- get noise in transmission
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:25:14 +1000
At 01:22 pm 2/9/97 -0400, Eric R. Stephen wrote:
>***********************************
>All this talk about clutches has remined me of occasional problem I have
>with my clutch/tranmission.  On occasion when I depress the cluth pedal
>(to the floor) I get a "metallic rumbling" coming from what appears to be
>the front of the transmission.  The fluid level is ok.  Any thoughts??

Eric,

Some noise is normal but it is probably an indication that the clutch throw
out bearing is on the way out.  This is the bearing which comes under load
when you depress the clutch.  Unless you are unlucky the noise will only
get worse.  Why it is intermittent I do not know but might relate to the
position of the residual lubricant.

On the MGA this bearing was usually a carbon block, not a normal ball
bearing type.

regards,

Graham
97 MGF