Re: Dieselling

To: "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Dieselling
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 10:15:57 +1000
At 10:24 pm 2/9/97 -0500, Tyson Sherman wrote:
>Hi folks.  My 76 MGB decided to start dieselling (sp?)
>again today.  It hasn't done so since April, but in the
>past month it has done so 2.5 times.
>The anti-run on valve clicks like it's supposed to.  So,
>what usually causes this?  It's partially de-smogged
>but all of the vacuum and related hoses to the charcoal
>canister are properly clamped.  So, what usually causes
>this annoying thing?
>Thanks,
>Tyson

If your idling speed is above 750rpm then that is a likely cause.  The
problem is caused from hot spots in the combustion chamber igniting any
fuel around.  If the idling is set high there is enough fuel/air able to be
sucked in to those hot spots to keep the engine running.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Graham
97 MGF