MG Tunes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG Tunes
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 19:05:03 -0600 (MDT)
Followed the thread with interest about appropriate tuneage (sp?) for MGs.
Deep Purple's "Highway Star" was the theme song of my first B - a red '71
roadster! Since I've had the GT for 23 years, a goodly number of types of
music have passed through it's cockpit, particularly memorable, the "Made In
The Shade" Stones album, ZZ Top's "Fandango" (BTW, Sharp Dressed Man will
lead directly to a speeding ticket if played at high volume on a hot
summer's night...).

All of this leads me to a rant (oh, good..)

Drives me nuts when I go to most all-marque car shows, and the prevailing
style of music is like a bad American Graffitti trip. Kills me that people
who have late-70s iron - particularly US of origin - INSIST on playing the
'Do Whop A Ditty' icons of the mid-fifties! (Not that there's anything wrong
with that..)

If these folks were as true to the music as they were to the original air
filters, then the '69/'70/'71 era cars should be accompanied by the Deep
Purples, Cream, Grand Funk RR, CCR, CSN&Y..

The mid-to-late '70s oughtta have early Elton, Eagles Desperado, BTO, Queen,
ELO, Blondie, Supertramp..

Granted that all music is certainly a subjective matter - but let's let the
tunes match the era of the car. Scares me to think that when my GT sat in
the showroom in 1970, that some dude dreamt about driving it along a winding
road, listening to Dion!

Whew.

That feels better...

Terry 'Music Charts My Life' Williams
'70 BGT (built 10/69 - #1 song - Green-Eyed Lady/Sugarloaf)
'68 roadster (built 12/68 - #1 song - White Room/Cream)