Re: more midget clutch sa

To: John Kahoon <john.kahoon@pcohio.com>
Subject: Re: more midget clutch sa
From: Randell Kegg <kgstuart@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 18:26:57 -0700
John Kahoon wrote:

> Dustin wrote:
>
> DH>After reading a few responses about the extended clutch master cyl. push
> DH>rod, I'm wondering if all 1275 Midget pushrods have this same sloppily
> DH>welded extension.
>
> DH>Does everyone face this problem when they need to replace the rod?  Does
> DH>anyone have a shorter push rod (3" as per Moss & VB) that works?  It seems
> DH>like a problem that the suppliers would have solved by now.
>
> DH>Also, John Kahoon mentioned a threaded extension, and it sounds like it
> DH>works well.  Can you give a more detailed description?
>
> DH>Any other solutions?  I'm hoping to put it together over the weekend, and
> DH>I'm not sure how to proceed on the push rod.  It sounds like the new
> DH>'correct' one from Moss is not going to work.
>
> DH>Thanks,
> DH>Dustin
> DH>howarth@pulsenet.com
> DH>'73 Midget 'Margo'
>
>   It looks like, ( and this is hard to tell not haveing seen a stock
> rod) That the loop was cut off the end of the original rod and
> welded to a couple nut (  1" long nut ) then a 3-4 inch threaded rod was
> welded to the end of the shaft. Total length, fully extened is 5-6
> inches from end to end. fully collapsed, it's about 4 inches. I hope
> this helps.
>
> John Kahoon
> 71 midget
> ---
>  þ SLMR 2.1a þ john.kahoon@pcohio.com
>
>  _ _
> |_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.net
> |_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pcohio.net

        I had a 1969 AH Sprite, and had to replace the clutch master cylinder.
When I
received the new one from Moss, I installed it and then discovered that I did
not have
enough clutch pedal travel to properly disengage the clutch. I found that the
pushrod
that comes out of the master cylinder was about an inch longer on the original
master
cylinder than it was on the replacement. I called Moss, and they claimed that
the one
they sent is the right one, and that there is only one pushrod length listed. I
ended up
putting the old pushrod into the new master cylinder and all was well.  I
wonder if
lengthening the slave cylinder pushrod is an attempt by some people to
compensate for
the shorter master cylinder pushrod that came when thay bought a replacement.
Does
anyone else have any more information?

Randy Kegg