TECH B Roadster Re: Dieseling?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TECH B Roadster Re: Dieseling?
From: "John C Bullas " <johnbullas@netcentral.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 09:27:19 +0100
John C Bullas and COO the "non-standard" '78 1275GT
"If it don't leak, smell, smoke, melt or burn....
            It can't be made for a Mini"
Http://www.netcentral.co.uk/~johnbullas/home.htm
Just signed up after getting things on BCL cc'd to this!
thus missed the original post
----------
> From: Misa <misa@global.thinc.net>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Dieseling?
> Date: 15 January 1994 19:20
>
> Hey, Wiz! It's great to see someone else who drives their MG
everyday! I
> drive my 76 B roadster every single day, unless it's snowing! My B
used
> to diesel real bad last summer, but once I tuned it up, it stopped.
> Plus, my car actually seems to get worse gas mileage on 93 octane
than
> it does on 87!! I don't really understand that, but, hey...at least
it's
> cheaper. And I have the same problem with my fuel gauge. I have to
rely
> on my trip-o-meter to tell me when I'm about out of gas! So, my
guess
> would be a delivery problem, not an octane issue. Have you checked
your
> throttle cable? Mine was old and used to stick. I replaced it when
> tuned the car up last year, but I'm not positive it was the cause
of the
> dieseling...any thoughts???
>
> :)misa
> 76 B

If we are talking "running on" after the ignition is switched off,
with a nice lean idle mixture
i could leave the car overnight (well not really) still going
"aduh-duh-fuh-adauh-------duh---duh"!

i seem to remember the very latest SU fitted A series having an
anti-run on valve fitted to kill this that had a ignition fed valve
that opened the inlet manifold to atmospheric pressure when the
ignition was killed (to cut the manifold vacuum stopping the lump
dead)

- a massive coking up of the head can lead to heat build up "glowing
carbon!" causing similar symptoms probably more serious with
mechanical fuel pumps as the system gets "perpetual"- with the
electric pump killed the run on is at least finite! (ha)

Suppose with the more eco-friendly non leaded fuels with lower octane
Compression Ratio could become an issue- there could be the ultimate
in "rebel diesels" a petrol engine that used compression to ignite
the gas charge- don't think it would run to well going "BANG" in such
an uncontrolled manner WELL before TDC!