Re: it wasn't the fuel pump, I am confused

To: missouf@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: it wasn't the fuel pump, I am confused
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 17:17:42 EDT
On Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:38:05 -0500 (CDT) missouf@mail.utexas.edu (steffy)
writes:
>I changed the fuel pump to a new one.  There still was no gas flow
>from the
>fuel line which leads to the carb.
>The, rummaging around the trunk, it was discovered that the 2 fuel
>lines
>which run to and from the expansion tank (the evaporative loss lines:
>the
>vapor pipe line and the line to the expansion tank) were rotten,
>cracked,
>tearing, and otherwise seemed to be the original parts that needed
>replacing
>for fuel to circulate.  New fuel line was purchased and installed.
>There
>was still no gas flow from the fuel line which leads to the carb.
>
>The line that comes out of the tank itself has not been checked;
>neither my
>boyfriend nor myself can figure out how to get to it to check it.
>Or, what else can be wrong?  What else can be checked?
>
>stephanie
>'77 MG Midget

 Stephanie,
  You've probably found the problem.  The feed line between the tank and
pump is probably leaking air.
  Had a similar problem on a Motor home. Nothing would make fuel flow.
Found the line from tank to pump was old and cracked. It would leak air
when the pump was on, thus causing the pump to stay "dry".
  The line exits the tank as a hard, or steel line, and the flex line
connects at the end, which is inside the axle arch.
 Jack the rear of the car, place jackstands under the frame, so as to
allow the axle to hang on the rebound straps, remove the right rear
wheel, and the lines will be accessible, with a bit of contortions, along
the upper part of the wheelwell/axle cavity.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget