ON-TOPIC: Relearning Old Lessons

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ON-TOPIC: Relearning Old Lessons
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:44:43 +0100
Short Version:

Decided to do a quick compression test on the C/GT. I have been
concerned that I may have squeezed the head gasket out of number one.
This time I put up with the inconveniance of warming the car up first.

First hole: 90 psi. Shoot. 2nd Hole: 90 psi. Worse than I thought. Third
hole: 90 psi. Say what? Where can I borrow a gauge? All the holes were
90 psi. Pretty damn odd. Then I remembered that its best to have the
throttle plates open so I jammed a screw driver to force all three
Webers WFO.

1st hole: 195, 2nd hole 190, 3rd: 185, 4th: 195, 5th: 195, 6th: 200

Wow! I didn't know it would make that much of a difference. Makes you
wonder how the car idles at all with a lumpy cam. No wonder air
conditioning on 'hot' cars ain't a great idea!

Longer Version:

I have some abuse scheduled for the C/GT in October. The current project
is it to replace the clutch and synchros. I'm not sure you can get to
the clutch via the spark plug holes but I'm working my way down...

I've ordered my very own leak down tester from Summit so it'll be
interesting to see what it will show. I am not sure if I'll replace the
head gasket, yet, just for fun, but I think I may have a little bit too
much carbon on top of the valves but I won't know until I lever the
intake manifolds off and take a peak.

I'm thinking of doing the 'Darby CC measurement' with plexiglass and
animal syringes if I have the time and the head comes off.

The radiator, cowling, and pretty new yellow fan is back on the garage
floor. After the old fan blowing up, I looked over the new one real
careful for signs of mutiny. I am not, currently, planning to take the
front pulley off. After it was glued on with 'red' Loctite I just a soon
not mess with it. Plenty of oil pressure so I hope to leave the bottom
of the engine alone.

So far all the fluids are drained and wiring disconnected. Tommorrow
it's the 'on your back' stuff to disconnect the driveshaft and the trans
bolts. My plan is to not drop anything heavy on my chest but I'll have
to wait and see.

Anyone got an angle on Redline MTL? I'm thinking of using that on
startup. Naturally, if anyone has bought a clutch and synchros lately,
I'd like to know if they found anything spectacular. I'll probably go to
VB as the So drives right past the place every evening.

Finally clearing off enough chores to play in the garage has been pretty
nice.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CT on jacks, '75TR6 in the driveway, '61Elva
hiding far, far away.