Sticky valve symptoms (TD)?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sticky valve symptoms (TD)?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Sep 1997 11:27:26 -0500
About two years ago I though I'd do my '52 TD a big favor and have the
head rebuilt.  Among other things, compression was spotty and there
was a lot of oil going down the valve guides.  Among other candy, I
laid in some hardened seats and Moss' finest silicon bronze guides....

It worked a treat for a while, but after last winter's layover the
engine has become balky.  Rough idle and really crappy acceleration.
It can hit about 4500 rpm without load (briefly...) but can barely
make it down the driveway and back when moving.  I naturally have
checked the SUs and ignition assiduously, replaced coil, points,
rotor, double-checked plug gaps, point gap and timing.  Proximate,
but no panatela.

So then I read with deepening anxiety about the problem with sticky
silicon bronze valve guides.  What are the symptoms, exactly?  Is it
possible to determine that this is the cause of my misfortune without
yanking the head?  I'd really feel silly to go to that trouble for no
reason.  And if this is the problem, what is the preferred remedy?
Honing or reaming or?

        A. B. "But I really meant well" Bonds