Re: BMW, Chrysler and Rover

To: dknowles@uk.b-r.com
Subject: Re: BMW, Chrysler and Rover
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:49:18 EDT
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:07:00 +0100 David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
writes:

>record straight.
>
>"There has never been any discussion or plan, and I don't expect a
>merger
>of any kind," the frank-speaking CEO said Friday at a launch party
>here
>for the new Dodge Durango sport-utility vehicle.
>
>"We have no plans to buy BMW or Fiat -- not a plant, not a segment,
>not
>nothing."
>
>The latest round of rumors surrounding the No. 3 automaker surfaced
>last
>week in London, when a British automotive enthusiast magazine
>suggested
>that Chrysler was considering buying the carmaking operations of Rover
>Group Ltd.
>
>There's another reason for the BMW rumor:
>
>Chrysler announced in October 1996 it would form a joint venture with
>BMW
>to build an engine plant in Brazil. The plant will open as soon as
>1998.
>Eaton and other Chrysler executives said Friday that they have regular
>meetings with BMW officials to discuss progress in Brazil, but the
>meetings have not escalated to talks of mergers.
>
>"We have never talked beyond the South American plant," Eaton said.<<<
>
>I received a faxed press release from Rover, also denying any truth in
>the rumours. I have yet to see any comment from BMW however - it would
>be particularly interesting to know what has been said in Spartanburg.

  Here in Spartanburg, the talk on the street about a proposed merger is
that it somthing of a tittilating speculation, but nothing more.  No one
has taken it seriously.  In fact the first place most people heard of it
was the reported rumors in the press.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget
located 12 1/2 miles from the home of the Z3, and could care less