Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>, MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 13:17:54 -0400
>>>..... brake slave cylinders from two MGTD's.  They are ALL rusted so
>>that the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.  I have tried EVERYTHING to
>>get these things apart, including:  WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster and
>>molasses (don't ask).  They are still frozen solid.
>>>
>>>My next step is to get out the blue wrench (propane torch).  Since the
>>cylinders are aluminum and the pistons are steel, I expect that they will
>>expand at different rates when heated.  Hopefully, they will release if
>>the aluminum expands more that the steel.

My years of experience, (and I am pretty stupid) is to heat the outside of
the cylinder with a torch (lightly) and bang the sucker until the piston
comes out. I soft wire brush on a wheel the piston and external parts, and
use an emory cloth to polish the inside. Change the rubbers from a rebuild
kit, apply the red grease made by Girling to the area of travel of the
piston, and I have never had a problem. (If the cylinder is pitted so bad
that you can't remove it with the emery cloth, get a new cylinder .

Mike