Re: MGB steering rack

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: MGB steering rack
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 07:01:45 -0500
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

>   I would like to be certain that there is enough oil in the steering
> rack. This is a "later" car on which no filler nipple is fitted.  My
> first thought was to take off the shim cover and pour it in. It won't go
> in, of course, as the yoke (piston shape) is in the way.
>   Question--how does one remove this yoke with the rack or radiator in
> the car?
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob
> reeking of spilled hypoid 90

Bob -
        I just did this last weekend after replacing the boots.  Didn't want to
completely remove the rack just to pour in the oil.  I removed the shim
cover you are referring to .. there's a small hole in the center of the
piston shaped yoke...thought I'd try pumping the oil in through the
hole.  Don't try that - oil goes everywhere.  However, the yoke will
come out easily with a magnet.  Inside the yoke you'll find a spring and
a brass damper that rubs on the pinion shaft.  Remove this and then pump
or pour in the hypoid 90.  Turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of
times, put in more oil, repeat as necessary.  I think the book said to
use about 1/3 cup.  Reassemble, drive, and enjoy!

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX