1500 Cam Bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1500 Cam Bearings
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:17:17 -0500
I don't get into these technical discussions as much now that I am on the
digest :-(  but, as the DPO of a 76 Spit*re, I can add some (probably
redundant) clarification to this subject.

The 1500 engine used in the "Spitfidget" does not use cam bearings.
However, the holes in the block are the same size as the holes in earlier
versions of the engine which did use cam bearings and, as such, cam
bearings can be installed IF you install the cam from an earlier version of
the engine.  It is common to see the line "using this cam with the 1500
requires the installation of cam bearings"  in the specs for Spit
performance cams.

So your 1500 may indeed have cam bearings even though they were not stock.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA
Recovering TrI**ph owner