Re: Weber carbs

To: DWADE REINSCH <dreinsch@tenet.edu>
Subject: Re: Weber carbs
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:55:16 -0400
DWADE REINSCH wrote:

> Does the Weber downdraft carb have an "accelerator" or "primer" pump
> (like an old Holley) so that when you step on it hard it squirts some
> raw gas into the engine??

Yep.

> If so, how can I check it out?

Take off the air cleaner, move the throttle by hand and watch for fuel
being squirted into the venturi.  (Main venturi)

> Is so, and if bad, how can I repair it?

Piece of cake.  Call Brit-Tek and order an accelerator pump repair kit.
Wait for mailman.  Unpack box and install the diaphragm.

If you're really serious about using this "thing", suggest you buy the
Haynes Weber Carburetor Manual.  Excellent resource for rebuilding and
understanding these bizarre devices.  (Please understand - I believe
that SUs are the only way to go on an MG, but there seem to be many
folks convinced that a Weber is a better carb.  Why is beyond my
comprehension but if they work for you who am I to say that you're
wrong?)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/